3.20.2009

Decorating Dictum


When will I ever listen to my own gut? I have begun to realize that when I pick a "queue", any queue, I need to go to the one that I immediately "didn't" pick. That pretty much applies to everything that I am instantly drawn to. Stop..re-think..& go with your gut feeling.

When it came to my masterbath, I didn't follow my own dictum. My bowling alley size bath was plagued with ugly 80's wallpaper. Was there ever good 80's wallpaper? I am a huge fan of retro paper, but 80's...not so much.

So why oh why did I not choose to go with re-papering with a paintable wallpaper? The walls of our bath had not been properly treated before the original paper was applied. This resulted in the removal process being complete and utter torture. We removed equal amounts of sheet rock layers as old wallpaper. Then came the hours of filling and smoothing with joint compound to achieve that paintable surface. I saved one step by mixing a suede type texturing powder (found at Lowe's) into my primer. Although it made texturing easier and less expensive, it's thick to apply making the process laborious (like raising a teen!). All these, are things to consider.

Next wallpaper removal project (oh, yes there are a few more), I am saving myself carpal tunnel surgery and going the route of Graham & Brown paintable wallpaper.

Graham & Brown Paintables are the remedy for problem walls. When used with a strong ready-mixed adhesive, Paintables can hide away all the unsightly problems with your walls. It covers cracked walls, paneling, and even cinderblock! Best of all, it's paintable to match your decor and starts @ $25. per roll.

Option #2, For a smaller project such as an accent wall, I am doting on the impact and ease of Inhabit Wall Flats. Inhabit's Embossed Wall Flats are designed to expand in any direction. With peel-and-stick adhesive tape and an automatic pattern repeat these wall tiles are simple, modern, versatile and goof-proof. You can cover an existing wall, help disguise a not-so-smooth wall or add a modern pattern to any room setting. 10 - 18x18 squares are $84. This covers 22.5 sq. ft. Better yet, they are made of recycled paper and re-usable. How green is that?!


Curvy paintable paper available @ Target.com. $34.99 for double roll.
Free Shipping on orders over $50.00,
but only through 3/21


Shangri La Wall Flats by Inhabit
Order @ Design Public
Free shipping on orders over $50. & low-price guarantee.




Graham & Brown - Paintable Squares


Graham & Brown - Bark Effect

Inhabit - Seesaw

Inhabit - Architect


Inhabit - Chyrsalis

10 comments:

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

This Graham & Brown paintable wallpaper is very cool. My mind reels with the possibilities!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Julia- I am so glad. I love to get people's 'wheels turning'!

Anonymous said...

Neat idea..., the paintable wallpapers. It sounds like a lot of work though..., applying wallpaper AND paint.

Anonymous said...

This is great! What a good find. I am going to pass this along to some of my friends who have older homes and, thus, 'problem walls.'

My Galveston Cottage said...

I love the wallpaper from Targe. I didn't even know they carried this item! I want it. Thanks for sharing! BTW: I live in Galveston.....cheers, -susan

debi lynn mattingly said...

Wow...LOVE that wallpaper. Need to get my hands on some of that....of course, it won't go on my walls. Can't ya just see that on canvas and then a painting over it! ;)

Thanks for stoppin' by sweetie....have a beautiful & creative weekend!

xo...deb

AMM blog said...

I LOVE these wall options!!
About your question regarding our dog, Fiona, she's half Cocker Spaniel, half Dachshund.
Wouldn't guess the Cocker except that she has longer legs, a shorter snout and a very round head, like Cocker puppies have. Other than that, she looks like her mama!

Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

these walls are quite amazing!

La Mom-an American Mom in Paris said...

Hi Dumbwit!
Home staging is becoming the new thing in Paris. French Elle & Glamour just wrote it and Glamour even gave it a kinky twist (à la: home staging bedroom tips to spice up your sex life.)

Anonymous said...

I am the first time on this site and am really enthusiastic about and so many good articles. I think it's just very good.